Dad Awards (AY)
Print out cards with the various awards for awarding to fathers, place all fathers and “father figures” in the front rows. Set up a table at the front of the church with all the awards laid out in their categories. There should be multiple awards under each category according to the size of the congregation. Ask for Five volunteers to give awards to their dads and share their gratitude in the form of a testimony.
You Can also use the attached PowerPoint presentation to display on a screen or to be used in an online version of this program.
You need Award Cards, see the end of the document for samples.
[Duration 1:45 minutes]
OPENING PRAYER [1 minute]:
SONG SERVICE [15 minutes]:
OPENING/THEME SONG [3 minutes]:304 – Faith of Our Fathers
SCRIPTURE READING [2 minutes]:
11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? 12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
PRAYER [3 minutes]: Specifically for the fathers of the church
The salvation of youth through Jesus Christ. We understand youth ministry to be that work of the church that is conducted for, with, and by young people.
The Advent message to all the world in my generation.
The love of Christ compels me.
Loving the Lord Jesus, I promise to take an active part in the youth ministry of the church, doing what I can to help others and to finish the work of the Gospel in all the world.
Adventist youth are we from every land and sea
Together we pray and work and play in happy harmony
We have a faith to share
With others everywhere
A message of love from God above
To show the world we care
Adventist youth, Adventist Youth, Adventist Youth
WELCOME & GREETING [5 minutes]:
ACTIVITIES [15 minutes]:
Morning Watch, Testimonies, Hot Seat, Action group/unit meetings, etc.
Interview the oldest and youngest fathers. Ask them questions about fatherhood, then take questions from the congregation.
- How long have you been a father?
- How many children do you have?
- How many did you name?
- What was your biggest fear before becoming a father?
- What was your proudest moment as a father?
- What do you wish more fathers would do?
- What is your advice to fathers and fathers-to-be?
PROGRAM INTRODUCTION [2 minutes]:
SPECIAL [5 minutes]:
MAIN PROGRAM [45 minutes]:
The dad awards seek to give everyone in the congregation an opportunity to show their gratitude to all the fathers of the church. We will be awarding each father with a card/title that represents what that father means to us.
The first phase of awards will cover all the dads for just being there. It is a present to the Dads who were present in the lives of their own children or the lives of those who claimed them as dads.
Ask volunteers or identify young people to hand out these awards to all the dads. As far as possible, call the names of all the fathers present at your program and award them with this title. This ensures no father is left out.
Get 5 volunteers to give their testimonies and gratitude to their dad, biological or adopted.
The floors will then be open to 10 second tributes as persons choose their awards and present it to their dads.
The award categories are:
- Very Present Help: This man was present in your life in one way or another. You could call him and he would be there. He was willing to share his time and/or resources to help with your needs.
- Priestly Pop: This man is known for his spiritual influence and is always ready to share the word of God or spiritual counsel.
- Dad the Exterminator: This dad has saved you from things that creep and crawl.
- Dad of Laughter: You leave every encounter with this man smiling. He can always turn that frown upside down.
- Doctor Dad, the medicine man: He is a health hero. He has a fix or medicine for every illness.
- Lord Listener: He is not only a great listening ear, but what he hears stays secret.
- Counsel King: He is always offering pertinent advice ranging from education, relationships, career, finance etc.
- Man of Motivation: If you ever feel down or depressed, he always knows exactly what to say. His words can turn a kitten into a lion.
- Professor Papa: He is a river of knowledge and is always picking your brain or always trying to teach you something new. He is smart and witty. He shares wisdom with every word and knowledge with every story. When you finish a conversation with him, you feel like you obtained a college degree.
After either the awards are all used up or the volunteers stop coming up, transition to the presentation below
It is great to find these amazing qualities in our earthly dads, they have been our source of strength and have come through for us when we needed them.
In spite of their dedication to our well being, our earthly dads are limited by the fact that they are human. And as dependable as they can be, they cannot be everywhere at anytime. Therefore is is comforting to know that we have a Dad that qualifies for all of the awards that were given out today.
That father is our heavenly Father, God, Jehovah, Abba Father, Dad, Daddy, Pappa or insert your personal name for a loving father.
- For his work in Psalm 46:1-2, We award him Very Present Help: God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. 2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
- For his role in Hebrews 4:14-16, We award him Priestly Pop: 14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
- For his work in Psalm 91:3, We award him Dad the Exterminator: Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence. For his role in Psalm 30:11, We award him Dad of Laughter: Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness;
- For his work in Matthew 4:23, We award him Doctor Dad, the medicine man: And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.
- For his role in Psalm 34:15, We award him Lord Listener: The eyes of the LORD are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry
- For his Word in 2 Timothy 3:16, We award him Counsel King: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
- For his promise in James 1:5, We award him Professor Papa: If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
- For his role in Isaiah 40:28-31, We award him Man of Motivation: 28 Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding. 29 He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. 30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: 31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
He is truly the greatest father of all, and we are blessed to be his children and he has promised to bless and protect us. Just like any father, all he asks is that we remain obedient to his word. He has our best interest at heart, and he is the best father a child could ever have.
VESPER SERVICE [10 minutes]
DEPARTURE SONG [1 minute]:
AWARDS LISTED BELOW, Print as required: