How to be a Perfect Christian in 3 Easy Steps
It would be good to inform at least 3 elders a week in advance about the topic and ask them to be prepared to share in their groups on the questions listed in the program.
Do you know any perfect Christian? Can you name one?
Everyone should know at least one. I will reveal the name of that person at the end of today’s program.
Perfection is a touchy topic. Very few people want to admit that they are perfect because:
- Out of fear that someone might point out some flaw that they were unaware of.
- Out of fear that someone might point out some flaw that they were hiding, hoping no one would ever find out.
- There are also those that are intentionally and even openly committing sin that they feel unwilling or unable to give up. Some people just consider it their struggle and eventually they might get over it.
- Others would never call themselves perfect because it seems like too great a title to apply to themselves, because as far as they are concerned, only God and maybe a few Bible prophets deserve that title.
So it is critical that today we dig deep into the Bible to find out what does perfection really mean and whether or not it is possible to achieve perfection here on earth.
And after we have done that, we will determine if the person I will reveal at the end of the program is in fact perfect.
Form 3 or 4 groups and complete the following activity. Discuss and write down your answer to the following questions. Ensure biblical references are provided for all answers. At the end of 15 minutes, have a representative of the group present on the answers that the group came up with. Ideally, there should be at least one church elder or biblically sound person in each group.
- List all the perfect people as stated by the Bible.
- Did they ever sin?
- Why were they considered perfect?
- Is perfection a requirement from God?
- List 3 places in the Bible where God asks fallen mankind for perfection.
- Can imperfect people make it to heaven? What does the Bible say about this?
- Is it possible to achieve perfection on a sinful earth with a sinful nature?
- Does perfection mean you become sinless or just that you sin less and is it possible for a perfect person to sin?
- Can you be more perfect than another person or are all perfect Christians at the same level?
- How many years of knowing Christ or how much knowledge of the Bible do you need to become perfect?
Three Steps to achieve perfection are:
Dedicate 5 minutes for the congregation to pray and meditate in silence on the points previously discussed.
Choose an elder to do a prayer of dedication. The prayer should emphasize on the three points above
There is at least one perfect person in this congregation, and that one person is... me. Only God and I can truly know that I am perfect. Given then opportunity we just had for self introspection, I hope you can say the same. Any sin you may have identified in your life, you would have made the commitment to surrender, repent and grow into newness of life. You are now perfect.
I will close with Jude 24-25
Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.